Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Beginning....

For as long as I can remember I have had teeth that I hate I have quite a large gap inbetween my 2 front teeth when I was in high school I had the option to get braces but I was too stubborn to get them and hated the idea of having train tracks looking back I was such an idiot I should have gotten braces then and I would have perfect teeth now but alas I didn't and here I am at 23 and I have finally built up the courage to do something about my teeth. From the first moment I heard about Invisalign I wanted them!

About a month ago I made a appointment with an Orthodontist to see if I was a candidate I was thinking that I probably wouldn't be a candidate and I would have to get traditional metal braces anyway but much to my surprise I went to my appointment asked if I was a candidate for Invisalign and was pleased to be told that I was hooray!

Then and there I decided I would go for it there is nothing stopping me now so they put those funky mouth opener things in my mouth and took alot of photos everyone was really nice and I wasn't feeling as self concious about my teeth being all out there as I would have thought.

I was then told I would need to make a appointment for the impressions so I made one for the following week. I was a bit worried about having the impressions done as I had been told it feels like you are going to swallow the impression medium but it was fine, not too umcomfortable at all.

Payment wise I was told that the total treatment would be $7500 at this stage depending on whether I got accepted for Invisalign express or not so I had to pay $1500 straight up for the impressions and then I will have to pay another $1500 when the trays arrive then the remainder in $200 a month installments seeing as I don't have insurance which I did have a look into and I probably would have to spend the $7500 grand over a couple of years before I could claim for orthodontist treatment so I think I will come out of it okay in the end.

My impressions were done 3 weeks ago and I was told it would take about 3 weeks for my trays to come in so fingers crossed they arrive this week. I can't wait to get started, I just want perfect teeth already!

When my aligners come in I will be shown the clinicheck video of my treatment plan and will find out how long my treatment will take.

So over the last 3 weeks I have had a look at soooooo many other Invisalign users blogs to see what I am getting myself in for.

The things that I am most worried about are:
1: Removing the aligners and getting them back in
2: My coffee consumption at the moment I drink about 4-5 cups a day!
3: Getting my eating habits in check as I'm a snacker not a 3 meal a day kind of person.
4: Alcohol can I give up my vodka and squash habit? or can I get around it by drinking vodka and plain soda without damaging my teeth?
5: Smoking....yes I'm a smoker...smoking with the aligners in is it possible we shall see I really don't want to end up with disgusting breath and yellow aligners ahh!

All in all I am not worried at all about the pain of my teeth moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment